Sunday, April 22, 2007

10:00 pm Update

Paul had a restful weekend at home. He has been feeling much better and has been keeping most of his food down. Paul and Kathi believe that the nausea he had previously been experiencing was from a certain medication that needs to be taken with food.

During the day he goes back and forth between his favorite chair and hospital bed that is set up in the living room. He watches plenty of television and usually makes it out to the patio in his wheelchair for a few minutes each day. Nurse Kathi sleeps on the couch next to him at night. He does not like his new hospital bed (not as comfortable as the air mattress in the hospital) and is having a hard time sleeping well at night. At least he has plenty of time to take cat naps during the day.

His spirits continue to be good. He understands there is alot of hard work ahead and in his words is prepared to "gut it out."

I spoke with Kathi this evening and she mentioned that Paul wanted to post something to everyone that has been following his blog. She thinks he will be do this in the next couple of days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I think of you often, and am so glad that Julie and Jennifer have taken the time to keep all of us informed on your progress.

Kerry LeMier

Anonymous said...

Paul, I am glad that you are getting more comfortable at home, but can't you get an air mattress to put on your hospital bed? I hope that this nice weather stays for a while so that you can get out on the patio a little more. I just finished my walk to Edmonds with Clint Wright. He mentioned that Jim Sellers is coming up to watch the Husky Spring game this Saturday with Lee McAllister, and Tom Shoupert. I had forgotten that it was coming up. I hope that I get a chance to see them, as it has been since our EHS 40 year reunion. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
Been at the cabin for a few days and am so happy to read that you did get home, bless those ladies for keeping the blog current. You are right when you say you have "to gut it out". You're have had many experiences in your life where you had to do that. This is one of those that physically hurts too!, but each day will improve. When it's proper, Wendy and I would like to stop by visit so we will wait for a call from your nurse:-) Hang in there.
Geno

DD said...

Hi Kathi & Paul,

Like I said I have the air mattress that fits a single hospital bed with the motor + the Hoa (?) bar that attaches to the side of the bed that really helps in transfering. Also we have extra wheel chairs if you want one just for the car or down south.

We also have a collection of walkers - you cant have too many of those - oh and we have canes too!

I'm glad that you are doing so well Paul. When you can sit longer, I'm waiting for you to write that book...'The Angle that went Down' or something like that! I want to hear the whole story!

You missed out on the Trader Joes Dark Chocolate Covered Cranberries I was going to bring to the hospital Wednesday on my way to the Anticoag. Center. I hope you don't have to make a lifetime commitment to that...I hate it!

Lot's are asking how you're doing at BC...we all miss you and Kathi.

Hugs from Jeanne and well wishes from Mark Hannah...Bergen & tyson give there best too!

DD said...

Hey, Kathi, Paul and Cary,

It was great seeing you today! I hope that you didn't mind the unannounced visit, but I was in the neighborhood! ISL about your note - go to the French door...You F-ing have 5 of them!

Paul, you look fantastic, better than I've seen you look in the 17 to 20 years that I have known you. Keep up the good work and you will make all the mid-lifer's oh so envious...you look hot for 60!

Hope to see you back swingen soon...Like I've said, "you can't keep a good man down for long"!

We are waiting to hear the whole story...perhaps you should share that when you have the time!

XOX -DD (my mom is now calling me dirty devil, so now you know what dd stands for).