Tuesday, April 10, 2007

9:30 pm Update

Today was supposed to be a pretty eventful day for Paul, but turned out to be more uneventful.

His IVC Filter was supposed to be removed at 5:00pm, but as they were preparing to do this they found a blood clot in the filter. This is actually good....the filter is doing it's job. The filter will remain in him for a few more weeks until the blood clot is gone. They will then attempt to remove the filter again. As I understand it, the filter can remain in him for approx. 2-3 months, but they like to remove them as soon as possible. Once the filter is removed, the coumadin (oral meds) should prevent any other blood clots from forming. He was finally able to eat his first meal of the day around 6:30 pm once he got back to his room.

The pins in his left foot were not removed today as originally planned. The surgeon that is supposed to do this surgery is on vacation this week. We are not really sure why we are just finding this out today. It sounds like the pins will be removed next week when the surgeon returns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They just drive ya crazy there don't they? I hate hospitals. A neccessary evil, I guess. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

The old boy,
Well Paul, all I can say is you are one tough s.o.b. After all you have gone thru and then all the little dissappointments like not removing things etc., you still have your great sense of humor, although I am sure Kathi doesn't think it is a sense of humor:-) At any rate Paul, I am very proud of you. You make the Terrace guys look like little girlers (my grandsons word for girls). Things like just finding out that the doctor who has to remove your screen is on vacation just shows you that hospitals are much like the government, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. As much as one might want to bitch about them, U.S. hospitals are still one of the top ones in the world, at least I trust them to some degree. You're going to be okay and even if you gain some wait back, you will always be one toe lighter, if that is any consolation. I don't think I will ever complain about pain anymore. See you soon. The Terrace side of life,
Geno
PS, if you wonder why my emails to you always comes up "anonymous" it is because I can't figure out how to do the username thing. If Jolene reads this, maybe she will call me and walk me thru it.

DD said...

Thank God the filter caught the clot!!! It's doing what it's suppose to be doing! Like aI say, you don't want a clot in your lungs or someplace else on top of everything your body has been through.

I know how much that you want to be home, but your little Hell/ Angle trip landed you in good hands. It may appear that the doctors don't know their left from their right, but you are improving every-day!

I couldn't resist poking my head in to say "Hi" on my way to the Anticoag. Center...I was amazed how great you look Paul! You are truly a miracle man and as I shared with you "you sometimes wonder why these things have to happen, but it's all part of a plan that you have no control over. Sometimes you have to slow down to see the full picture". You will look back on this with at least knowing that a whole lot of people care about you and you have great friends and family.

I hope you get home before my next INR or I'll bring you some candy! Oh by the way, you look pretty hot in a hospital gown and whiskers!

Love, Jeanne & Mark Hannah, Pauline, Bergen and Tyson

Anonymous said...

Paul, I am sorry to hear about the setbacks you are experiencing, even though they in reality are the best for you, but I too would want things to get completed when they were originally scheduled; how out of control we all are without realizing it. Just keep on getting better and find as many things to keep you laughing and entertained.